It’s a wagyu infused week for me, I have been hankering for some good meat so two nights in a row I have visited Gyuichi in Sri hartamas. Located at the stretch alongside with Fong Lye Taiwanese Restaurant and Jadepot, this Japanese bbq restaurant is seemingly unnoticed except for the red lantern with the word “烧肉“i.e. “BBQ meat”. Inside house a simple restaurant setting of 10 tables +/-, and a private room that can fit 12 pax.

Whenever I have cravings for premium Japanese meat, I often visit SS15 Kobe Gyutaku yakiniku, refer to here, and here , which is quite a distance from home, so I’m quite glad to find a closer alternative now.


Gyuichi boost a comprehensive menu of Wagyu dishes, apart from its bbq wagyu meats which comes in various cuts, there are also interesting items such as wagyu fried rice, wagyu sauté veges, and wagyu ramen. And if you’re not much of a beefy fan, fear not as there are also quite some selection of porks, chicken, and seafood such as their Hokkaido plump scallop.
Prices are a bit on the high side, do expect to spend a good RM100-RM150 per person for your wagyu feast. The price we pay in kl for decent meat. Sigh.

Gyuichi Seafood Wakame- Seaweed Salad (RM20) was a refreshing start with a mild acidity.

Gyuichi House Caesar Salad with a choice of caesar or carrot sauce (RM18) we went with the latter and was satisfied with it.
Radish Kimchi (RM6)

Utsonomiya’s yaki Gyoza (RM12)
Tokujo karubi (Superior Prime Short Ribs) (RM45) – 6 slices per portion is my favourite cut in their menu, I have exercised restraint to order again and again, I ended up with 3 plates of this. We are rewarded with a perfectly embraced fats and meat cooked few seconds on each side which reveals some perfectly pink and tender meat that almost melt in your mouth. One bite results in mind blowing flavours though the beef was seasoned to its bare minimum.


Nakaochi (Intercostal Cube Cut) is on their promotion at the moment. RM34 on normal days, promotion price being (RM28). This is a chunkier texture that requires some chewing but I think I prefer to stick to Tokujo Karubi


Off the grill you go!


Look at the perfect xlines, and the delightful pinkness
Am i now qualified for masterchef (malaysia's version?)

I’ve always loved ox tongue so it’s no brainer I’ll zoom in on the OX Tongue which allows selection of Super Thick, Thick cut, or thin cut. I have opted for the Thick Cut and was rewarded with a nice decisive mildly crunchy texture. Of course I still prefer Melbourne’s ox tongue version but by kl standard, this is satisfactory enough


Moving on, there’s the much anticipated SAGA Beef from Kyushu, Japan. Grade A4 (2nd highest grade)with A5 being the best. It is a beef that was compared often with Kobe and even side to side with Matsusaka. I still prefer Matsusaka the best. Priced at (RM168+/ 100g) for its steak cut which gives you 6 cube bites, does the price justify? I’ll keep my silence on that.

P Toro (Prime Pork Belly) (RM22) is cut coated with pork fats, and I’m very into pork fats so I’m sold. But by pork standard 6 pieces for RM22 may seem a bit expensive.

Mackarel (RM15) was cooked to moist and tender which goes well with the lovely dipping sauce provided. RM3 to add sauce

Squid (RM18)
Ugly photo i know. blame my iphone (yes im a new iphone convert, blehh!)
If you’re looking for something to fill your tummy, I woud suggest their Ishiyaki Bibimbap (RM22). Stone bowl Rice with vegetables and rice. Resembling the Korean version, this one bears lesser sauce, and has a better crispy and fragrant rice base.

Mixed mushrooms


Seaweed Soup (RM18) with portion for 3

What's this again? It's THAT unmemorable. Don't bother ordering.

Our compliment ice cream from the manager. :)

Alkie of the night: Yamamoto godaimugi choki chozoshu (RM228) for 900ML

Ratings:

Food: 7/10
(Wagyu craving satisfied :D)

Service: 7/10
(decent considering only 2 floor staff for the whole restaurant, manager was attentive and friendly)

Ambience: 5.5/10
(comfortable and cosy)

Presentation of Food: 6/10
(food portioning is a bit puny for some, given the price)

Overall Ratings: 6.5/10

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gyuichi
Jalan 19/70A,
Desa Sri Hartamas, Kuala Lumpur.

Tel: 03-6205-2233

8 comments:

ulric said...

Salad with a carrot sauce...tats a first for me =)

Looks like u gonna get beefier soon...haha :P

Michelle Chin said...

meat overdose man!

Anonymous said...

I went looking for kobegyutaku yakiniku last month in subang ss15. Its closed down! The website and phone number is no longer in operation...

Baby Sumo said...

The A4 beef looks like a beauty!

AugustDiners said...

Ulric: ooo why am I getting beefier?

Michelle: tell me about it!! Giving it a break for like 3 days. :p

Anon: ohhh really?? Thanks for the update! Mm I heard something about them opening another one somewhere in a shopping mall. Shall check up on that :)

Baby sumo: yeps it was a beauty!!

ulric said...

Too much top quality beef lar in too short period of time...hehe :P

LWW said...

Do you mind sharing where did you had your matsusaka? In KL? I once had it in Taipei and have been dreaming of it but not able to find in KL...........would appreciate some pointers from you.

Loh Wei Wen
lohweiwen@hotmail.com

AugustDiners said...

LWW: hello WeiWen, the matsusaka i had here is brought in hand-carry by one of my japanese chef friend whom is one of the main japanese ingredient supplier. unfortunately he doesnt supply matsusaka beef, i think there is a restrictions for bringing that premium piece of wonder out of japan. :( sorry not much help here!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails