I recently visited Hong Kong and had the chance to dine in Hong Kong Island's famous Yung Kee Restaurant. For all you food enthusiast out there, I am sure this restaurant is no stranger to your food dictionary. But for the benefit of those who have not heard of this restaurant, let me share a little about my amazing discovery.

Last year while attending a little wine and dine session in Ms. Jazz and Crazieapple's mansion (hahaha), I was treated to the best century egg I've ever tasted. I was told that it originated from a restaurant called Yung Kee in Central Hong Kong and that the line was incredibly long just to get the opportunity to buy these eggs. I was sure that I wasn't going to miss visiting this restaurant this time around.

Yung Kee used to be a 'dai pai dong' (hawker stall) selling siu mei before it was converted into a restaurant by Kam Shui-fai in 1942. After moving several times due to the war, Yung Kee finally settled down in its current premises on Wellington Street in 1964. Shortly after that, in 1968, Yung Kee was chosen by Fortune magazine as one of the Top 15 Restaurants in the World, the only Chinese restaurant on the list.

Getting a table on the upper floors of the restaurant is almost impossible without prior booking. Thanks to my girlfriend's mum, we managed to get a table during the busy lunch time. Once you're seated down and opened the menu, you'll soon realise why this is one of the best restaurant in the world. More than 6 pages of awards which includes:

Michelin Guide 1 Star Rating for 2009 and 2010
Miele Guide - Top 20 Asia's restaurant for 08/09 and 09/10

You can view http://www.yungkee.com.hk/award/award-e.html for a list of their awards which spans 4 webpages.

We decided to have a light and simple lunch, tasting only some of their finest trademark dishes which includes:





Unfortunately, I didn't manage to pay so I wouldn't be able to tell you how much our meal cost. I wouldn't be surprise that it cost a fair bit more premium when I saw this article on the newspaper the very next day:




Food: 9/10

Service: 7/10

Ambience: 7/10

Overall: 8/10
(I don't normally give an 8. So when I do, you know it's something special worth trying)

Yung Kee Restaurant
32-40 Wellington Street, Central, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2522 1624
Fax: (852) 2840 0888
Email: info@yungkee.com.hk

6 comments:

KY said...

feed me feed me!

Crusader said...

KY, Ms. Jazz will provide you with a taste of Yung Kee in her mansion :)

vialentino said...

ooo la la...the roast goose...wanna have a bite....

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Went to Yung Kee a couple of months back. Fell in love with the century egg and brought back a couple of boxes for some cholestrol induced high! :-)

Ms. Jazz said...

yummay! i hope u tapao-ed back some for me!!

Anonymous said...

bape outlet
supreme clothing
off white outlet
golden goose outlet
kevin durant shoes
golden goose outlet
jordan 13
palm angels
kyrie 8 shoes
goyard

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails