Augustdiners are partially Australian influenced. Having been down under for many years and with a year more to go for Crazieapple, we can’t help but often make comparison between the cuisine offered there, and what is offered in Malaysia as our taste buds has been accustom to the Gwai Los food.


I can be bias. *shrug* I love Melbourne after all. I have always felt that KL western cuisines are always nowhere compatible or near the quality of Melbourne food scenes. But to justify this statement, lately I have found that “Maybe theres more in KL than what we thought, there are many places that we have never really been exploring, and I believe there are many more upcoming ones that will eat my heart away, eventually

So now I’m giving KL my benefit of doubt, and soon enough I believe I’ll have to eat up my own words.

Opus Bistro is a step away from me eating up my words. *Gulp* It’s a wonder why I have never even been to this place before. And judging from the great amount of reviews already done by our dear food bloggers (which is a great source for augustdiners btw- we love them) It’s no doubt that this restaurant is a clear favourite for most people.

It was a small and casual dining joint situated in a quiet neighbourhood that was voted TOP 20 best restaurant in kl for 2 consecutive years. Wei was wise to make reservation before time as the place was almost occupied. Service was good as there was more than 5 staff (I counted) serving a mere 10+ tables.




Seafood antipasti platter (RM35) includes baked scallops and prawns, fresh clams in white wine sauce and mussels in arrabiatta sauce. Good starter to our merry meal.


Foie Gras with poached pear in red wine sauce (RM60). We were served 2 pieces of foie gras on top of what looks like half a pear? Too many pears pieces overpowering the foie gras but overall it taste good enough.





My Roasted Cod with white wine reduction (RM56) is the BEST COD I’ve tried so far! It’s worth every cent of my wallet; I believe the successful element of this dish is 1. Soft and juicy Cod Fish 2. Delicious sauce 3. Perfect combination with olives, tomatoes and asparagus. I wish I could say I lapped it up to the very last bit, but surprisingly the dish came in hearty portion- so I suppose it saved WEI (or me) some embarrassment of actually seeing me licking the plates dry. =)



Spaghetti Alla Opus (RM22) for Entrée size claimed to be THE DISH that made them famous. We were served in a generous portion of seafood, i.e. prawns, mussels, and squid tossed with olive oil, herbs, and chilli flakes. I thought that it tasted a bit ordinary, but Wei loved it. She commented that the prawns were very fresh. But they DID claim that this dish made them famous, and I don’t see why.

Wei and I have always had a wine and dine relationship, I remember the school days when we went to fine dining with our limited “student income” in Melbourne, whereby we took great courage to bring in CHEAP WINE because we couldn’t afford the ones that was on the shelves. (We also had the nerve to argue with the waiter on corkage fee) hehe. Thinking back it was all for a good laugh.


Wine of the night: Voga Italia Pinot Grigio 2006 (RM71) for 450ml equivalent to 3 and a half glasses. Perfect with our seafood dishes.

Our bill came up to RM440+ between two without desserts although i would really love to try their Chocolate desire but we didnt have the time to wait for 20 mins.

Ratings:

Food: 8/10
(itching to try their lobster bisque just because its my absolute favourite soup in the world)

Service: 7/10
(now if only my waiter speak good english, we had problem communicating, he was attentive though)

Ambience: 7/10
(good place for friends outing)

Presentation of food: 8/10

Overall: 8/10
(will definitely be back for more)


~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Opus Bistro
No. 67, Jalan Bangkung,
Bukit Bandaraya, Bangsar

Tel: 03- 20924288

8 comments:

Hanako said...

omg jess ur flog is seriously making my tummy rumble! not a good idea to read in the middle of the night :)
keep up the awe-nomnomnom-some posts coming!!

AugustDiners said...

Hanako: Thanks dear! :)

crusader said...

I was just there yesterday with almost similar orders - the roasted cod and the pasta! Drinks for the night was Veuve Cliquot though. Those pictures are making me hungry again!

Ms. Jazz said...

Crusader: u and ure champagne!

thule a.k.a leo said...

hey hey.. thanks for dropping by :)
so far I'd only been to Tasting Room in that area. Was thinking of going to Opus sometime this year *fingers crossed*

AugustDiners said...

thule: haha let us know how it goes once u got around to it *fingers crossed too* =)

TimeToChow said...

great blog. just reading your post far away from KL. I tend to agree that western food in Malaysia is an epic fail.

I get excited every time you review M'sian food. And disappointed every time I see such positive reviews of non-Asian food in Malaysia.

To be fair the opposite is true when in another foreign land. I suppose one of you get the best of both world. Earn your western food in Melbourne and M'sian in Malaysia.

AugustDiners said...

Timetochow: Thanks for reading up on our blog.
I wouldnt go so far as to say Malaysia western food is an epic fail, of course i had similar thoughts when i first got back from aussie, but there IS in fact a gem or two in msia if u really dig into it (only problem is often it comes with a hefty price!)

Appreciate your advice, we'll definitely look into more Malaysian food in future!! :D

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails